The goal of our Orthopedic Services is to manage the patients within the shortest time possible and reduce their stay at the hospital. The unit offers the best care with high quality and durable implants. Among the trauma cases managed are:
- Fractures of all long and short bones either conservatively or operatively.
- Pelvic fractures.
- Acetabular fractures.
- Dislocation of the peripheral joints
The orthopedic team is conjoined with the plastic surgical team in managing broken bones with wounds to get the best outcome for the patients. They also collaborate with the oncology team in the management of bone tumors like osteosarcomas, and Ewings Sarcoma among other tumors surgically. Those that do not respond to chemotherapy and radiotherapy, and those with a chance of cure. Current management is amputation above the tumor levels or joint disarticulation.
The services offered by the orthopedic unit include:
- Arthroplasty of the hip and knee through primary and revision surgery.
- Knee and shoulder arthroscopy.
- Management of joint and bone infections.
- Various ligament repairs especially in the knee and shoulder.
- Pediatric long bone osteotomies.
Future Specialized Units
As the unit grows and the number of surgeons increase the unit aims to set up other specialized units that include:
- Pediatric orthopedic unit.
- An arthroplasty unit for primary and revision joint cases.
- An arthroscopy unit.
- Bone tumors (cancer) unit.
- Hand surgery unit.
- Spine surgery unit.
- Pelvic and acetabular unit.
In the future KUTRRH aims to offer training of orthopedic surgeons to offer both Cosecsa in orthopedic and MMED in orthopedic. The training will enable betterment of management of orthopedics and trauma not only in the country, but across the region.