NICU Staff Celebrate World Neonatal Nurses Day 2023
The Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) observed the World Neonatal Nurses which falls on the 15th of August every year. The Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) is a unit that deals with medical concerns related to newborn babies. The NICU unit provides care for babies who are born prematurely, have a low birth weight or who are sick or at risk. NICU nurses combine treatment of the neonates with counselling of their mothers.
The Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) consists of a multidisciplinary team of professionals. Team members often include neonatologists, neonatal nurses, nutritionists and allied professionals. The NICU team are charged with ensuring that a baby gets the best treatment. KUTRRH’s NICU also operationalized a newborn unit as they observed the Neonatal Nurses Day. The Newborn Unit offers various services which are:
• Respiratory support by CPAP/ mechanical ventilation in NICU
• Surgery for babies born with congenital defects.
• Cardiac monitoring
• Oxygen therapy
• Incubator care
• Surfactant administration
• Exchange transfusion
• Isolation rooms with negative pressure for babies with sepsis
• Infusion pump/ syringe pump for drug delivery
• Peritoneal dialysis
• Kangaroo mother care
• Lactation room
• Accommodation for mothers
• Cooling for asphyxiated babies
All in all, NICU offers the best care to newborns and their mothers.