The KUTRRH Cyberknife is set to revolutionize cancer treatment not only in Kenya but also in the region. It is the second of its kind in Africa after Egypt.
What is Cyberknife Treatment?
It is a painless and non-invasive treatment for cancerous & non-cancerous tumours. The highly sophisticated machine delivers precise pulses of high-dose radiation that target certain tumours and other abnormal tissues while limiting exposure to surrounding healthy tissues.
Read: The Checkup Newsletter
Benefits of Cyberknife Treatment in Kenya
- Non-invasive (no surgery or anaesthesia); thus, painless and has a shorter treatment time.
- Able to reach areas of the body previously thought untreatable. Thus, it can treat a variety of tumours and cancers such as head and neck cancer, brain tumours, breast, lung, spinal, pancreas, liver, and prostate cancers.
- Almost immediate recovery
- Movement of the tumour during treatment caused by coughing, breathing, swallowing etc., does not alter precision since the machine automatically adjusts the radiation beams accordingly.
- Precision treatment limits damage to healthy tissue; hence very few side effects
The above benefits make it ideal for patients unable to undergo surgery or who do not wish to have surgery. Upon installation, the Cyberknife’s stereotactic radiosurgery (SRS) and stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT) system will enable clinicians at KUTRRH to confidently deliver precise, highly effective hypofractionated radiation treatments. This shall be possible while ensuring speedy delivery, workflow efficiency, and patient comfort.